6 reasons for a semester abroad
A semester abroad is still a good indication for potential employers that you are willing to step out of your comfort zone, embrace new experiences and broaden your own horizons. At the same time, it indicates flexibility, open-mindedness and tolerance.
The personal and professional benefits that can be gained from a semester abroad are therefore numerous:
- Discover your own subject from a new perspective.
- Improve your foreign language skills.
- Making international contacts.
- Adding value for future employers.
- Growing self-confidence and independence.
- Getting to know life and everyday life in another country.
FHWS has over 180 partner universities around the world. The Faculty of Computer Science and Business Information Systems has agreements with universities in Europe, Asia and the USA.
Among others, these include Sheffield Hallam University in the United Kingdom and multiple partner universities in Scandinavia with whom the cooperation is particularly close.
For example, every year during the International Teaching Week, lecturers from all over the world are guest lecturers at FHWS.
If you want to get a better feeling of what a semester abroad at one of these universities looks like, feel free to read experience reports from former exchange students here (German only).
Applying for a semester abroad
There are a few things to keep in mind when applying for a semester abroad at a partner university. In addition to the deadlines to be met (applications for the following winter semester: 31 January, applications for the following summer semester: 31 July), the following steps must be taken.
- Have consulted with your faculty's international affairs officer and have obtained his/her approval.
- Have registered in the MoveOn portal.
- Have uploaded the documents listed in the portal for the nomination.
All detailed information and deadlines regarding the application for a semester abroad can be found on the website of the International Office.