Changes from 1 January 2021

With the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020, there are going to be some changes in travelling and immigration from the UK to Germany.

We have gathered the most important information for students below:



Visa requirements and checks on persons

As of 1 January 2021, UK nationals travelling to the EU and the Schengen area will be treated as third-country nationals. This means:

  • There will be thorough checks at the Schengen area border.

  • Persons who want to work in the EU or want to stay in the EU for more than 90 days within a 180-day period, will have to meet the entry conditions for third-country nationals.

  • This could mean applying for a visa or work permit. You should check with the German Embassy what type of visa, if any, you will need. A national visa costs € 75 (approx. £ 60), if you receive a publicly funded scholarship, the visa is free of charge. Depending on the purpose of stay you should apply for the visa months in advance.

  • Periods of stay authorised under a visa or permit will not count against the 90-day limit.

  • If you are planning to stay in Germany for more than 3 months, you must register at your local registration office within 14 days of arrival. In Würzburg, this office is called Bürgerbüro.

Helpful links:

European Commission


International Fees

Students from the UK might be subject to international students’ fees after the transition period. At the moment, universities in Bavaria do not collect fees from non-EU students.


The UK will participate in EU programmes, including Erasmus+, until the end of the current programme period (2020).

At this stage, it is not possible to make any statements on the UK’s participation in the Erasmus+ programme after the end of the current programme period.


Please note that this information is subject to change, largely depending on the outcome of the negotiations currently underway between the EU and the UK.

Last updated in October 2020.